Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Things Are Getting Out of Hand

Or...Give them an inch & they will take a mile. Whatever. The idea here is, I have to pay attention...to my life, to stuff, to everyday mundane things that happen in my little world.

Earlier today I posted a photo on Facebook of a vine that had crawled across our front porch and is even now busily winding its way up a porch chair leg...off to God knows where. You see about 2 months ago, I spied this morning glory vine in my front flowerbed. Humph, I said to myself, must have originated from the byproduct of a bird who we fed during the horrible snow we Oklahomans experienced last winter. It's little, I'll let it stay since it's already survived so much. Besides, I thought, I have enough "stuff" to do, let's not add more work for this slothful lady to do!

Well, MISTAKE! Despite this being the worst summer Oklahoma has EVER had, this little vine has flourished beyond all comprehension and is now a first class nuisance that will take sweat & toil on my part to eradicate it. Oh my gosh, I could have nipped it in the bud 2 months ago easy peasy!

The lesson here for me is that this can happen in my life if I'm not paying attention. One little game online turns into 2 hours missing from my life. One potato chip used to lead to eating the whole bag (not now, but that's a story for another day). Are you getting the drift? Something that starts out small & seemingly of no consequence can turn into a monster. Do you have any innocent, little vines in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment